In the memory of the martyrs

As I was rolling over in bed today morning my eyes fell on the date in the calender. It was 21st February, the language martyrs day in my country as well as International Mother Language Day.

I am really proud to be a Bangladeshi, the only country in the world where people shed blood for the right to speak in their mother tongue in 1952. It was this language movement that started the revolution which eventually earned independence for our country in 1971. No matter where a Bengali is in this world, on 21st February we can't help but wonder at the huge sacrifice that was made just so we could speak the language we do.

International Mother Language Day was proclaimed by the General Conference of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in November 1999 and has been observed worldwide every year since then.

With that thought in mind I decided to wear Bengali clothes in the colors that we usually wear on this day, red-symbolizing the blood shed by the martyrs, black-mourning their demise with touches of white.

 



 

 

 

This dress is very very old and has a lot of history. The top is made out of my mom's old scarf and printed and embroidered by me. The scarf and the bottoms are made out of a torn, old, silk saree of mom's and beaded by me. This was one of the first dresses (called salwar kameez in Bangla) that I designed and custom made and I only wear it on special days.

The bangles (called Churee in Bangla: Ch as in chair-u as in oooo-ee as in eel) were acquired on my last trip to Bangladesh and makes awesome tunes (tung-tang-tung) when jingled.

Wearing: Dress - Custom designed from vintage fabric, Scarf and Bottom - Custom made from vintage fabric, Bangles - Street vendor in Bangladesh

Did you know this little history behind International Mother Language Day???

Love

Trishna
Real Time Web Analytics Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Canada License.