Tête-à-Tête: Alice in the wonderland

Hello Everyone,

I am really really happy today. The stars of this universe has aligned and have made way for my happiness. Or I could also say my perseverance and sheer grit paid off and I have fulfilled one of my many dreams.

But we shall elaborate more on that later. First let me introduce you to a long time photographer crush of mine, Toronto's very own, Alice Xue. She is the creative extraordinaire behind the magical blog, "Alice In Wonderland". I have been long mesmerized by her work, but her recent photo shoot has left me speechless. Hence I decided to have a little tête-à-tête with her, hope you enjoy her work as much as I do.


ME: Why "Alice in wonderland"? What was your vision like for this blog? How was the beginning?

ALICE: Alice in Wonderland was chosen because of obvious reasons (my name, hah). I also enjoy the whimsical association it has with the book and an idea of a life full of imagination and happiness.
The vision for the blog was originally outfit posts but as you can see, I post less and less outfits and more of my photography. I find this is a better method for me just because I find what I wear everyday to be dull and secondary. I still find excitement in fashion but it's just easier for me to find it in other people and I enjoy sharing outfits, albeit usually not my own with the readers.


ME: Where do you draw inspiration for a photo shoot? What is your signature style?

ALICE: Inspiration for shoots come from everywhere. It can be a certain type of lighting in a photo, spreads that I'm always looking at on fashion photography blogs, a look of a certain girl, a film, anything really.
I don't know what my signature style for shooting is yet, I'm trying to grow as a photographer and I'm still finding out what works and doesn't work for me.


ME: What do you most often find yourself doing when you’re not blogging/ photographing??

ALICE: Editing pictures. It's pretty ridiculous the amount of time that are spent after a shoot fixing things.
Also sleeping, wandering around downtown and going to shows are some great pastimes of mine. Funnily enough though, most of the things involved in my life requires me to hold a camera.


ME: What did you want to be when you were a child? Does it match your current occupation? What do you want to be doing for the rest of your life?

ALICE: I used to want to be a vet, or a teacher. How depressing, hah. It doesn't match what I want to do at all, I want to travel the world, shooting people, clothes and scenery that inspires me.
I know one day I want to be successful enough to be able to live happily loving my job and doing exactly what I want.


ME: Are you a city girl or a country maiden? What’s the best part about where you live?

ALICE: City girl for sure. I love the country side for a week but I like to be in the city because there are endless things you can do.
The best thing about Toronto...I honestly haven't really experienced the city because I don't live downtown and am underage but I'm definitely going to have a blast exploring the city when I'm older.


ME: If you were invisible and could fly, where in the universe would you go? Why?

ALICE: I would never want to be invisible but I'd just fly everywhere. The world is such an amazing place and to be able to fly is one of my lifelong and impossible to be fulfilled dreams.
I think I'd like to just float in the night sky and look at the stars and the cities that are beneath.


ME: What are your favorite blogs and why?

ALICE: I love Liebemarlene for her southern charm, Garance Dore because she's an amazing photographer, Touch Puppet and Fashion Gone Rogue give me the best updates about fashion photography,
I also read a lot of personal photographer blogs like Bella Howard and Jessie Craig.


ME: I really think it's extraordinary that how much you have achieved, considering you're so young. When did you become interested in photography and what sparked this interest?

ALICE: Thank you! That's very sweet. I hope one day I'll be known as a good photographer not just for my age but just a great photographer in general. My interest in fashion sparked this interest in photography.
For a long time I wanted to do fashion design but I found that I really don't care about clothes enough to want to design it for a living. I love visual imagery though and have always been in love with beauty and the fleeting nature of it.


ME: Where do you see yourself in five years?

ALICE: In five years I want to be testing models regularly, doing submissions with magazines and possibly contracted. I really just want to be working regularly and doing something I love.


ME: What has been the most remarkable aspect of blogging so far?

ALICE: The ability to share over the internet and the ability to remember and see my progress.


Thank you so much Alice for sharing your little story with everyone. We cenrtainly look forward to seeing more of your amazing work.

Love
Trishna
Real Time Web Analytics Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Canada License.