It's all a matter of time.........

It's been a long time since I participated in a Fashion-Beauty-Friends Friday (FBFF). However, this week's topic hit so close to home, that I could not help but write. For those new here, FBFF is a group of bloggers, who post their opinions on a special topic every Friday. It was the brilliant inception of Katy Rose, and I want to dedicate today's post to her for proving what an awesome mind reader she is by choosing this week's topic.

Q. How many hours a week do you spend blogging? Has that number changed since you started blogging?

A. In a good week I find myself doing blog related things (posting, researching, responding to comments, networking, organizing photo shoots) for about 10-14 hours. However, there are weeks when I am swamped by real world stuff and I just sneak in extra hours over the next few weekends to catch up.

When I started blogging I actually spent more time in front of the computer but really doing nothing fruitful. Last August, after seriously taking it up, I set up a schedule for blogging and booked those hours off on my organizer as "blogging time". In a matter of weeks I found myself being more efficient with computer time. Not to mention, the increased regularity of posts really piqued the interest of my visitors, resulting in a consistently growing readership.

Q. There is always more you can do....read, write, comment ...how do you limit your time spent on these tasks?

A. Setting limits has to be the hardest and most important thing I have done for Tashrin. Before August, I found myself spending hours writing a post, editing, re-editing, poring over every little detail looking for god knows what. But once I decided to be a more consistent blogger without letting it take over my life, I knew some prioritizing and limit setting was in order.

So I broke down my schedule into daily chunks of time and assigned specific tasks for specific days. For example, I had 2 hours and 45 minutes each day to spend on the blog, based on my normal class and work schedule. Everyday, I spend 1 hour and 45 minutes responding to comments, replying emails and networking. Every alternate day I allocate 1 hour to posting and photography/ editing. I know this strict routine would not work for many but it helps me to stay balanced and enjoy each aspect of my life the way I want it.

I do admit it takes a bit of self control to follow through, as there really is nobody watching you but yourself and I myself fell off the wagon many times. But I am grateful because the next day, I just went back on and continued. However, I do believe, for everybody out there there is a way of achieving balance, to make this wonderful passion of ours more organic to our lifestyles.

Q. Have you experienced blogger burn out yet? How have you dealt with that?

A. From time to time life gets a bit overwhelming and I can't even think straight, let alone creatively. If it's one of those days, I just explain the situation to my readers and sincerely apologize. I have a bunch of awesome folks here who understand me just fine and know I'll be back in a day or two......perkier than ever. It's pretty straight forward but believe me is a much better strategy than trying to pretend creativity when you'd rather crawl under your duvet with a tub of dark chocolate ice cream, a True Blood novel and lick your wounds/ recuperate from whatever other maladies you might have.

Q. This time of the year is a lot busier than any other time. Will your blogging change as a result?

A. Yes....and....no. This time of the year is usually busier for me due to semester finals, projects and assignment deadlines. But that is the case for me every semester. I live in a country far away from family and friends, so believe me or not, Christmas season from the 3rd week of December till the 2nd week of January is a very relaxing time for me. 

However, this is when my blogging schedule will recover from the major set back due to exam related craziness. So while you all will be attending Christmas parties in your pretty outfits, do upload some photos...because I will surely be living vicariously through you. 

Q. Could you foresee a moment in which you are not blogging anymore?

A. Honestly, after I'd known the simple pleasures of  blogging, I do not think I could ever go back to being a non-blogger again. True as I grow more mature, my blog might evolve into something completely different from what it is now. But what I truly enjoy about blogging is that it is a chronicle of my life. It might sound funny, but someday I would be mighty pleased to show my grandchildren all the outfits I came up with  from my fashion blogger days. So ...yeah......I am prepping for the long run. :)

So that was my take friends...on FBFF's this week's topic, Blogger Burnout. I tremendously enjoyed answering these questions and am very much looking forward to reading what others have to say on this issue. For a full list of participants, go here.

Have a great weekend. :)

Tashrin on Twitter| Tashrin on Facebook
Real Time Web Analytics Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Canada License.