The neverending dilemma of dressing

This week's FBFF questions revolve around the topic of dressing.......how some bloggers pre-plan and spend hours composing an outfit while others ...just throw something on. Which group do you think I fall in, folks? Read on to see for yourself........

Q. How do you determine what you will wear on a day?

A. I live in Canada, where dressing is dictated first by weather then by my mood. In the past I have tried setting an outfit out the night before. But since I always change my mind in the morning, I stopped doing it. Now every morning, I put on one garment that I love and build an outfit around it. Sometimes though...an outfit idea randomly pops into my head and I write it down....to recreate later.

Q. Do you plan outfits out in advance for a whole week, month, weekend?

A. No, never. I thought doing it would make me a super organized lady, so I tried. But it is not for me. What I love most about dressing is the opportunity to express my mood, how am I supposed to know my mood in the upcoming week???
Also doing it in advance makes dressing feel like a chore that I need to get out of the way....which is far from the creative process it is to me. 

Q. Do you have any specific way of tracking outfits an items already worn so you don't repeat?

A. Well that's where "Tashrin" becomes highly useful as a visual chronicle so that I do not repeat an exact outfit. :) But I have a pretty small wardrobe, 16 dresses, 5 skirts, 13 tops, 9 blazers/cardigans, 4 t-shirts. So not repeating items isn't an option for me. But I truly love every single item in my closet, so wearing them over and over again is a pleasure.

Q. How do you discover new combination of items in your closet?

A. I actually don't. I follow a strict colour palette in my wardrobe so when I buy something new, I only buy it if it falls into that palette. As a result almost everything in my wardrobe goes with at least 5-7 other items. For example, orange is not a colour in my current palette. So I do not buy anything orange because it would not go with anything in my wardrobe.
This way I can just randomly pull stuff out of my closet....and still create an outfit. Sounds strange? If you'd like, let me know in the comments and I'll do a separate post on it. :)

Q. To streamline the process for 2011 what is one new thing you can do to cut down your dressing time?

A. This year I have started curating two separate spring-summer and fall-winter wardrobes. This will further limit my options each season and the fewer choices I have, the faster and more creative dressing will be.

What do you think of these questions, folks? How do you approach dressing? Do you just throw something on or meticulously plan each outfit? Please share in the comments. 


**FBFF (Fashion-Beauty-Friends-Friday) is a group organized by Katy Rose of Modly Chic where fashion and beauty bloggers share their thoughts on a specific topic and read what others have to say on that same topic every Friday. To join please visit Modly Chic.
Real Time Web Analytics Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Canada License.