Live life with less but only the very best

This summer, my main goal is to live my life. Being creative with my income, I have secured myself enough time to truly enjoy the glorious summer days and the festivities Toronto has to offer. The second part of this goal is to take better care of my mind and body.  

For three years now I have been using only natural body care products. I swear by Lush, Dr. Teal, Burt's Bees and Lavanilla. However, supporting "no animal testing" and ensuring only the purest products touch my skin is often difficult. I use only the bare minimum; face wash, toner, moisturizer, soap, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, body lotion, bath salt, kohl eye pencil, lip-balm and a bottle of jasmine absolute as perfume. I can not possibly pare this list down any further but I wish to eliminate my dependency on brand names and make a transition to products with three ingredients or less, that can be made at home. Other than the possible health benefits of using pure, natural ingredients my motivation is also to achieve freedom from having to painstakingly search for these brand names if I ever happen to live in places where these retailers don't exist.

My first experiment was an easy one, my bath salt. Regular baths even in summer help relax my muscles especially in the lower back. I have not yet found a reasonably priced bath salt in my favorite fragrance - jasmine, so I bought bulk Epsom salt from St. Lawrence Market, Jasmine and Bergamot oils and mixed 10 drops of oil to 1 kilo salt to make my own. I finally got a bath salt I love that's as natural as natural can be. A kilo of bath salt costs me the price of a Starbucks frappuccino and stored in a pretty jar it makes me feel damn good every time I take a bath.


The second project I was a bit more hesitant to approach. The most critical part of my dry and curly hair care regime was the conditioner. I was running through a 250 ml bottle in 8-10 washes and still was not completely satisfied with the conditioning effect. So after my last bottle ran out, I did a bit of research on some effective conditioners using ingredients from home. For my dry, curly hair the simplest conditioners were egg yolk or yogurt or olive oil. On a given day I applied either 3 egg yolks or 1/2 cup of yogurt or 1/4 cup of olive oil to my hair 15 minutes before shampooing. Then shampooed as usual, until my hair felt nice and clean. It's been two weeks now that I have been using these in rotation and my hair has never been so soft. I didn't even have to buy anything except $ 5 dollars worth of extra grocery in these two weeks. In my book, that's a win win situation.


Curently I am experimenting with my complete facial care regime to see what else can be substituted with pure and natural ingredients. Hopefully by the time my experiment is over, I would have a minimalist as well as 100% natural skin and hair care regime.

In the mean time, tell me, what kind of products do you use on your body? Do you have any advice for my curly hair and oily skin care? Please tell me via a comment or Tweet.
Real Time Web Analytics Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Canada License.